Skip to main content

What is Facebook Good For?


I cautiously joined Facebook about four-and-a-half years ago after receiving numerous invites, but in the beginning I was too afraid to drink the social media Kool-Aid. In fact, after opening my account, I wound up not using it for eight months. It was pretty intimidating and I didn’t feel a need to rush into this new-fangled form of communication. Besides, I’m a fairly private person and pushing myself into learning social media networking skills was pretty daunting... And most important, what if I looked dumb?

So, to make my entry into cyber networking doable, I decided I needed a goal, something to make Facebook a means to an end...a reason to give it my time and energy.

In my line of work, I’m in constant contact with clients and colleagues via the phone and / or e-mail; my question was: Could I use Facebook to help build up my communication skills and present my thoughts in a clearer, more concise manner?

I’ve found that over the past few years my answer to this question is: “Yes!”

I have both a “personal friends” account and a “professional friends” account. You might wonder, what’s the purpose of two accounts? And I’ll tell you; this is my solution to the different types of people I communicate with on a regular basis. I don’t want to bore my family and friends with posts around leadership development, hiring, HR and other areas they would have absolutely no interest in and vice versa.

For me, Facebook has met my original goal of upping my communication skills and stretching myself out of my comfort zone. I think I have made almost every dumb Facebook mistake a person can make, and you know what? I survived!

Facebook serves me now as a wonderful connection to friends, family, clients, and colleagues all around the world.

How are you managing Facebook or the other social media sites?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfect Comfort Food - Pumpkin Apple Bread

A perfect comfort food, especially when spread with cream cheese, Pumpkin Apple Bread has become a tradition of mine every autumn – Enjoy!   Pumpkin Apple Bread from Celebrate the Rain - Seattle Junior League 3 cups all-purpose flour 2 tsp baking soda 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp ground nutmeg (can use freshly grated) 1 tsp ground cloves ¾ tsp salt ¼ tsp ground allspice   2 cups (16 ounces) pure pumpkin puree (I use fresh / steamed and pureed pumpkin – you may also use canned) 2 ¼ cup sugar 4 eggs, lightly beaten ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 large or 2 medium Granny Smith apples: peeled, cored and cut into ¼ inch dices Cinnamon Sugar Topping 5 Tbs sugar 1 Tbs all-purpose flour 1 Tbs butter at room temperature 1 (heaping) tsp cinnamon For the topping – Combine sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Blend with fork to an even, crumbly texture. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9- by 5-inch loaf pans. Sift together the flour, baking s...

Anniversaries

“If I could only turn back time to the place we left behind – I’d find you there...”  Happy and sad—bitter and sweet… Birthdays and days of passing—weddings and funerals… Public festivities where extended friends abound—private retreats where only close friends, family or Time spent in solitary reflection, enough to fill one’s soul. This weekend is the anniversary of my mother’s passing 26 (short) years ago. When I think of all the things she’s missed: Her granddaughter’s growing up. Getting to know her two grandsons-in-law. Watching her two great-grandsons’ and one granddaughter's lives expand. Traveling around the world to see them and be a part of their lives. She is also missing: Tea with me and the adult conversations we would now be able to have; when she passed away, I was 32 and in the middle of caring for young children, raising horses and taking care of the farm.  We could now sit, two women, expanding our relationship deeper and farther than ...

A Simple "Hello"

Not to start on a negative, but this is one of my pet peeves...people who send condolences or RSVPs, a written invitation or congratulations or any other such personal communications in an e-mail. I mean really, how sincere is it when the receiver knows that this is something you popped off on your iPhone while waiting at the dentist? As Alan Weiss points out in his Balancing Act Newsletter, “Texting ‘I feel 4 U’ is not the same, somehow, as writing four sentences of sympathy and support. We can all afford the ten minutes.” In this day of “instant” everything, have we forgotten how to pick up a pen and a piece of paper? Here’s an easy way to make sure this type of “never have time for” correspondence doesn’t happen to you. Purchase five cards or post cards. Purchase stamps. (These first two steps are honestly the hardest part of this!) Put your favorite music on, settle in and think of five people you love and “never” write because you “never” have the time. Possibly one of your five ...