Skip to main content

A Simple "Hello"



Not to start on a negative, but this is one of my pet peeves...people who send condolences or RSVPs, a written invitation or congratulations or any other such personal communications in an e-mail. I mean really, how sincere is it when the receiver knows that this is something you popped off on your iPhone while waiting at the dentist?

As Alan Weiss points out in his Balancing Act Newsletter, “Texting ‘I feel 4 U’ is not the same, somehow, as writing four sentences of sympathy and support. We can all afford the ten minutes.”

In this day of “instant” everything, have we forgotten how to pick up a pen and a piece of paper?

Here’s an easy way to make sure this type of “never have time for” correspondence doesn’t happen to you.

  • Purchase five cards or post cards.
  • Purchase stamps.
    (These first two steps are honestly the hardest part of this!)
  • Put your favorite music on, settle in and think of five people you love and “never” write because you “never” have the time. Possibly one of your five might be someone who is struggling with a difficult situation where a handwritten note will mean so much.
  • Next work down your list and give each person a single card with a sentence or two:
    “I so often think about you and wish we lived closer! How are you? All’s well with me, Love....."
  • Post the notes in the mail... and make someone’s day special!

** For those of you who do not like to spend time shopping for cards (this is not me!), here is an online solution- Jack Cards

Comments

  1. I feel 4 U! Writing with paper and pen is becoming a dying art. Whoops, I better send that by snail mail! Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This so inspired me I went out over the weekend and purchased all my upcoming friends & family Birthday cards. Whew, there are a lot of people born in March & April!

    I then sat down this morning, wrote my "best wishes" and they are ready to go in the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of my 'resolutions' for this year! So far I've been doing pretty well, got 5 birthdays and one valentine and one condolence done. I'm planning for it to carry thru March ( ;) ;) ), and HOPING I can make it thru Christmas and actually send cards this year. don't expect anything tho.
    jeanne, aka salmonbake

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have another courtesy beef -- if you don't mind going off-topic just slightly. People who prioritize you on the phone. We all know about being on the losing end of call waiting (or maybe just I do). Here's a new wrinkle: I've offered to give free professional services to a friend. We set a firm telephone appointment to discuss it. When that time came, she called me -- but to ask if we could put the phone call off by about 30 minutes because she was on Skype with Dubai. Feeling passive aggressive, I said, "okay, but you should know that I just rushed someone off the phone myself to honor this appointment." Which was true, but a "better I should suffer" ring to it. She got the message and signed off with Dubai to take the Santa Fe appointment. It's exhausting to constantly have to defend the basics of respectful treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne - I hope your resolution carries (at least) through March ;-)

    Martha - the "exhaustion in defense of respect"... been there, done that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Perfect Comfort Food - Pumpkin Apple Bread

A perfect comfort food, especially when spread with cream cheese, Pumpkin Apple Bread has become a tradition of mine every autumn – Enjoy!   Pumpkin Apple Bread from Celebrate the Rain - Seattle Junior League 3 cups all-purpose flour 2 tsp baking soda 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp ground nutmeg (can use freshly grated) 1 tsp ground cloves ¾ tsp salt ¼ tsp ground allspice   2 cups (16 ounces) pure pumpkin puree (I use fresh / steamed and pureed pumpkin – you may also use canned) 2 ¼ cup sugar 4 eggs, lightly beaten ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 large or 2 medium Granny Smith apples: peeled, cored and cut into ¼ inch dices Cinnamon Sugar Topping 5 Tbs sugar 1 Tbs all-purpose flour 1 Tbs butter at room temperature 1 (heaping) tsp cinnamon For the topping – Combine sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Blend with fork to an even, crumbly texture. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9- by 5-inch loaf pans. Sift together the flour, baking s...

Anniversaries

“If I could only turn back time to the place we left behind – I’d find you there...”  Happy and sad—bitter and sweet… Birthdays and days of passing—weddings and funerals… Public festivities where extended friends abound—private retreats where only close friends, family or Time spent in solitary reflection, enough to fill one’s soul. This weekend is the anniversary of my mother’s passing 26 (short) years ago. When I think of all the things she’s missed: Her granddaughter’s growing up. Getting to know her two grandsons-in-law. Watching her two great-grandsons’ and one granddaughter's lives expand. Traveling around the world to see them and be a part of their lives. She is also missing: Tea with me and the adult conversations we would now be able to have; when she passed away, I was 32 and in the middle of caring for young children, raising horses and taking care of the farm.  We could now sit, two women, expanding our relationship deeper and farther than ...