Skip to main content

Perfect Comfort Food - Pumpkin Apple Bread

A perfect comfort food, especially when spread with cream cheese, Pumpkin Apple Bread has become a tradition of mine every autumn – Enjoy!

 
Pumpkin Apple Bread
from Celebrate the Rain - Seattle Junior League

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg (can use freshly grated)
1 tsp ground cloves
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground allspice
 
2 cups (16 ounces) pure pumpkin puree (I use fresh / steamed and pureed pumpkin – you may also use canned)
2 ¼ cup sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 large or 2 medium Granny Smith apples: peeled, cored and cut into ¼ inch dices

Cinnamon Sugar Topping
5 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 Tbs butter at room temperature
1 (heaping) tsp cinnamon

For the topping – Combine sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Blend with fork to an even, crumbly texture. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9- by 5-inch loaf pans. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt and allspice into a large bowl.

In another large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, sugar, eggs, and oil. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin, stirring to evenly mix, and then fold in the apples.

Divide the batter between the pans, smoothing the tops. Sprinkle each loaf with the cinnamon-sugar topping.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. (I usually add about 10 minutes.)
 
** I like this bread fresh out of the oven while the cinnamon topping is crisp. These loaves also hold up well and can be baked a day or two before being served. They also freeze well for up to 1 month, securely wrapped in plastic, then wrapped one more time in foil.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making a Wish List

The Wish List is a writing exercise I picked up from Julia Cameron in her book Walking in This World . Cameron is an “artist’s writer” offering insights and encouragement for those who find their life’s work in artistic pursuits and endeavors. My thoughts are that all of us, no matter what industry or “lifestyle” we find ourselves in, are tied to artistic and creative endeavors. And that the greatest pursuit of all is creating our life! The following simple little exercise is one I use when I’m feeling a bit stuck on who I am, where I want to go and what the next steps may be. Number a blank sheet from 1 to 20. Writing (quickly) finish the phrase: “I wish” 20 times. Your wishes can range from the big things that you find difficult to wrap your mind around or the very small (almost imperceptible) things that are sometimes passed off in pursuit of bigger things. There is no right or wrong wish! What you will notice, once you have completed your list, is that there are several small, ye

Four Handy iPhone Apps

There may be “ 100,000 apps for that ,”but recently I added four new apps to my iPhone that I truly find helpful for my day to day life, and business. Give these four iPhone apps a try: 1. Lose It! I have always been a huge Weight Watchers (WW) fan (and I mean no disrespect to that fine program) but this app is awesome! For some reason having over 1300 calories to consume feels like so much more than 23 WW points…plus the app instantly adds exercise calories and recalculates your daily intake accordingly. 2. Go Pedometer : I have only used this app a couple times and I really like it. I wish it would measure in “miles” versus “feet,” but there is a slight possibility that I just don’t know how to program it yet. 3. Pandora : Creates really nice music mixes for you on your iPhone or computer. 4. Awesome Note : Love it! I already have several folders titled To Do / Shopping / Windridge / Music / Travel Diary / Etc. Extremely helpful and the graphics are fun. On Another Note This is not a

Are You Wondering Where the Lines Are?

I read this yesterday and it struck me how many times we let our self-imposed lines hold us back. " Sometimes I’m asked about a certain line. Where is the line between my needs and my family’s needs? Where is the line between time away and time at home? Where is the line between doing too much and not doing enough? Where is the line between taking care of myself and taking care of everyone else? Where is the line between inside and outside? Between you and me? Then and now? Happy and sad? Laughter and tears? And I respond: There is no line. Look up, look around, see what needs to be done. There is no line, no wall, no gate, no limit, no barrier, no lock or key, and no one stopping you, except that one who has stopped to look for a line ." Thank you karen maezen miller !