Skip to main content

Making a Wish List

The Wish List is a writing exercise I picked up from Julia Cameron in her book Walking in This World. Cameron is an “artist’s writer” offering insights and encouragement for those who find their life’s work in artistic pursuits and endeavors. My thoughts are that all of us, no matter what industry or “lifestyle” we find ourselves in, are tied to artistic and creative endeavors. And that the greatest pursuit of all is creating our life!

The following simple little exercise is one I use when I’m feeling a bit stuck on who I am, where I want to go and what the next steps may be.

Number a blank sheet from 1 to 20. Writing (quickly) finish the phrase: “I wish” 20 times. Your wishes can range from the big things that you find difficult to wrap your mind around or the very small (almost imperceptible) things that are sometimes passed off in pursuit of bigger things. There is no right or wrong wish!

What you will notice, once you have completed your list, is that there are several small, yet doable steps you can take that you may not have thought about. The simple act of putting your wishes on paper (instead of holding them in your head) allows you to gain insight and perspective.

A wish list might read:
  1. I wish I had more energy.
  2. I wish my children didn’t live so far away.
  3. I wish I didn’t procrastinate.
  4. I wish I had a pair of nice slacks for walking.

Many times a wish list will suggest some small action that you can take. For example:

  1. More Energy – Step up walking and gym programs, plus schedule yearly physical to check blood work for any vitamin deficiencies.

  2. Children at a Distance – Schedule regular trips to see each of my daughters and their families. I can moan about them living far away or do something about it. Once dates are set and flights are booked I feel so much more connected to them and can spend the time I’m not with them more productively.

  3. Procrastination – Spend 10 – 15 minutes every morning planning the day (before the work day begins). Spend 30 minutes (or more) over the weekend getting ready for the coming week.

  4. Slacks for Walking – Take note of what others are wearing that look nice and comfortable then go and buy a pair.

What I like about this exercise is, it’s really simple! Plus I’m always encouraged and amazed at the next steps identified, even when I’m feeling stuck.


Try it and I think you will find that making a wish list will help you identify and clarify concrete steps for the things you are “wishing” for but not putting into action.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Simple "Hello"

Not to start on a negative, but this is one of my pet peeves...people who send condolences or RSVPs, a written invitation or congratulations or any other such personal communications in an e-mail. I mean really, how sincere is it when the receiver knows that this is something you popped off on your iPhone while waiting at the dentist? As Alan Weiss points out in his Balancing Act Newsletter, “Texting ‘I feel 4 U’ is not the same, somehow, as writing four sentences of sympathy and support. We can all afford the ten minutes.” In this day of “instant” everything, have we forgotten how to pick up a pen and a piece of paper? Here’s an easy way to make sure this type of “never have time for” correspondence doesn’t happen to you. Purchase five cards or post cards. Purchase stamps. (These first two steps are honestly the hardest part of this!) Put your favorite music on, settle in and think of five people you love and “never” write because you “never” have the time. Possibly one of your five

Four Handy iPhone Apps

There may be “ 100,000 apps for that ,”but recently I added four new apps to my iPhone that I truly find helpful for my day to day life, and business. Give these four iPhone apps a try: 1. Lose It! I have always been a huge Weight Watchers (WW) fan (and I mean no disrespect to that fine program) but this app is awesome! For some reason having over 1300 calories to consume feels like so much more than 23 WW points…plus the app instantly adds exercise calories and recalculates your daily intake accordingly. 2. Go Pedometer : I have only used this app a couple times and I really like it. I wish it would measure in “miles” versus “feet,” but there is a slight possibility that I just don’t know how to program it yet. 3. Pandora : Creates really nice music mixes for you on your iPhone or computer. 4. Awesome Note : Love it! I already have several folders titled To Do / Shopping / Windridge / Music / Travel Diary / Etc. Extremely helpful and the graphics are fun. On Another Note This is not a

Anniversaries

“If I could only turn back time to the place we left behind – I’d find you there...”  Happy and sad—bitter and sweet… Birthdays and days of passing—weddings and funerals… Public festivities where extended friends abound—private retreats where only close friends, family or Time spent in solitary reflection, enough to fill one’s soul. This weekend is the anniversary of my mother’s passing 26 (short) years ago. When I think of all the things she’s missed: Her granddaughter’s growing up. Getting to know her two grandsons-in-law. Watching her two great-grandsons’ and one granddaughter's lives expand. Traveling around the world to see them and be a part of their lives. She is also missing: Tea with me and the adult conversations we would now be able to have; when she passed away, I was 32 and in the middle of caring for young children, raising horses and taking care of the farm.  We could now sit, two women, expanding our relationship deeper and farther than the m